How do I enroll my child(ren) at North Star?
North Star is currently full for high school students for the 2020-2021 school year.
We will have limited openings for K-8 students, beginning in November.
We are not compiling a waiting list at this time.
In November, we will post openings and accept applications for those openings.
Applications will not be accepted before that time.
North Star evaluates available openings during the summer and once per quarter.
We will post any available openings on the following dates:
- August 5th
- September 23rd
- November 9th (Some K-8 openings will be available; high school is full.)
- February 9th
- April 16th for the fall of 2021
Steps to Enrollment at North Star (details below)
1. Research our school~
- Review the website, especially the pages under "About our Program" Make sure to contact the office if you have any questions that this website does not adequately answer: 509-465-7730. If your child is transferring to North Star from another Mead District school, some of your paperwork is already completed. Please contact the office.
2. Come to a tour: (This is suspended during the current closure)
- Arrange your calendar for your child(ren) and at least the teaching parent, to tour our campus and meet with our director.
- Sign background release of information
3. Schedule and complete an interview (Conducted by Zoom now.) Next Zoom on 8/5/20
- Email Ginny at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview.
- We will talk and see if this program is a good fit in terms of what North Star requires and what your family needs.
If enrollment is approved, you may begin the paperwork. The teaching parent (or both parents) and child(ren) should attend the interview.
At the time of your interview, please turn in :
~Tour and Interview form (form attached below)
~New Family Release of information 5.1.20 (form attached below0
4. Complete our enrollment forms
- Complete enrollment paperwork detailed below. District forms are completed online. North Star required documents
can be downloaded below. Please print them out and hand in the hard copies at :
13120 N Pittsburg St
Spokane WA 99208
5. Schedule and attend a WSLP meeting
- Schedule a meeting to create a Written Student Learning Plan (WSLP). It requires about 1 hour per child. The teaching parent and child(ren) will attend a WSLP meeting.
6. Attend an orientation
- The teaching parent will attend a new family orientation, where we will cover: the rules, practices, and routines of North Star; how to complete curriculum orders; understanding requirements and laws; the requirements of a WSLP, and more.
(This information will be provided by your mentor teacher due to COVID Closure)
7. Register for clubs
- When steps 1-6 are complete, your students are ready to be registered for clubs. Students have already registered for our year-long clubs, many of which are full at this time. Students who enroll after August 18th, will be able to pick from the clubs that are not full. The club schedule is available here.
If you plan to independently homeschool until you enroll at North Star, WA State requires a "Declaration of Intent" to homeschool. We have copies in our office and a downloadable version below.
First, fill out the Mead District Enrollment Paperwork online at this link.
Then fill out the required North Star documents attached below.
North Star documents (attached below)
Which documents do I need to fill out?
All Families (for each child):
- Health Emergency Form
- Letter to Instructors
- Records Request
- Parent Contract Elementary (for each student K-8)
- Parent Contract Secondary (for each student 9-12)
- Food allergy form (if your child has allergies)
- Secondary student contract (for each student in grades 9-12)
- Statement of Understanding
- CIS (Certificate of Immunization Status) Form (Doctor signature required)
Families who live WITHIN the Mead School District:
- Elementary IntraDistrict Transfer (K-5) OR
- Secondary IntraDistrict Transfer form (6-12)
Families who live OUTSIDE the Mead School District
- Out of District Non-resident Transfer form (This form will be available in 6/1/2020)
- North Star Choice Transfer Request (This form will be available 6/1/2020)
Families who plan to independently homeschool until they enroll at North Star
- Declaration of intent to provide home-based education.