Guided Student Learning Program
The Guided Student Learning program is separate from our Parent Partnership Program at North Star.
This program is designed for students in grades 9-12 who plan to work independently through primarily online resources to complete assignments and courses for credit towards graduation.
Our Guided Student Learning (GSL) program is designed specifically for students who are independent, self-motivated and organized learners who are attending Running Start, Skill Center, are parenting, or have another life challenge that keeps them from participating in traditional school. The Guided Student Learning (GSL) program is a FULL-TIME program as each student is responsible for 100 hours a month (minimum) of study, documented and evidenced by worked turned in on a weekly basis.
Students meet for one hour a week, one-on-one, with the advisor. Together, the advisor and the student design each class based on the student's learning style. Once this is determined, the student can work as quickly or as slowly as needed to complete the work. Other support activities may be available as well, on Thursdays.
Each student is expected to work to the best of his/her ability with each project/assignment meeting 80% proficiency or better. Credit is only given upon the student completing 100% of the required coursework (no skipping assignments!). Our building and computers are accessible to GSL students every weekday afternoon from 2:30-3:30 and all day Thursday and Friday. Each student is completely responsible and accountable for managing their time and coursework; this mirrors the college atmosphere and prepares students to be responsible adults.
All Guided Student Learning (GSL) students need to meet the same credit, SBAC, and requirements as the rest of the Mead School District. The Running Start program at the community colleges and the Skills Center programs are also available to all our students.
The Guided Student Learning (GSL) strives to be an environment with an atmosphere that promotes responsibility and respect for each other and the community.
Steps to Enrollment in the Guided Student Learning Program
- Contact Mr. Nick Edwards for an interview. email@example.com
- Complete required North Star documents.
- Schedule and attend WSLP (Written Student Learning Plan) meeting and access curriculum materials
Required North Star Documents
- First time enrolling in a Mead District school?
First, fill out the Mead District Enrollment Paperwork online at this link.
- Students who LIVE WITHIN the Mead School District:
- In-district Secondary Transfer form (below)
- Students who LIVE OUTSIDE the Mead School District
- 20-21 Non-resident form (Available 6/1/2020)
- North Star Choice Transfer Request (Available6/1/2020)
- All Students (available below)
- Health Emergency Form
- Allergy form (if applicable)
- Records Request
- GSL Student Contract Secondary
- Statement of Understanding